Erik ten Hag, the manager of Manchester United, has finally spoken out about what occurred to Cristiano Ronaldo during the team’s victory against Spurs on Wednesday night at home and the ensuing controversy.
Erik ten Hag, the manager of Manchester United, has confirmed Cristiano Ronaldo’s denial to play against Tottenham on Wednesday night.
Despite the fact that Ronaldo’s decision to rush down the tunnel as stoppage time in the second half drew close was the main topic of conversation following the game, the Red Devils defeated Antonio Conte’s team 2-0.
Much first thought that Ronaldo went down the tunnel without the manager’s consent since he wasn’t going to be brought on at any stage in the game, which has taken his second stint at Old Trafford to a new low.
Ten Hag’s most recent remarks, however, provide some clarification to the matter and indicate that not everything is as it first appears.
“What the talk – if you ask about that – is between Cristiano and me,” Ten Hag said. “The statement is also clear, I think. He remains an important player in the squad.
“I am the manager, I am responsible for the culture here and I have to set standards and values and I have to control them. In the team, we have values and standards and I have to control that.
“After Vallecano, I told him it was unacceptable but not him everyone, this is the second time, there are consequences. We miss him tomorrow. It’s a miss for the squad but it’s important for the attitude and mentality of the group and now we have to focus on Chelsea as that is important.”
When questioned about if Ronaldo specifically declined to enter the game against Tottenham, the Dutchman answered truthfully: “Yes.”
Ten Hag’s evaluation of the scenario includes some unexpected elements. The United manager is leaving the door open for Ronaldo to make a comeback despite the consequences of the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s tantrum on Wednesday night.
It’s illuminating that Ronaldo was chosen to emphasise his continued importance to this United team, especially in light of how little Ronaldo has played under Ten Hag this season.
Ronaldo has only played the full 90 minutes once so far this season, and that performance took place in the infamous 4-0 humiliation at Brentford back in August.
It has already been announced that he won’t be travelling to Stamford Bridge, although it’s unclear how frequently Ten Hag will plan to utilise Ronaldo beyond this weekend.