The most recognised names in international football will compete in QATAR’s FIFA World Cup 2022 in November and December. England will be trying to win the trophy after reaching the semi-finals in 2018 before losing to Croatia.
Brazil, France, Spain, and Germany will face off against Gareth Southgate’s men as the best players in the world compete for international glory. However, as the event approaches, numerous notable omissions are expected.
This list of players to miss FIFA World Cup 2022 due to an injury
- Diogo Jota, the Liverpool and Portuguese winger, was projected to play for Portugal in the World Cup following a fantastic 2021/2022 season with the Reds. However, the 25-year-old suffered a calf injury against Manchester City on October 16, ruling him out of the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
- Arthur Melo, the Liverpool loanee, has also been ruled out of the tournament after sustaining a long-term muscle ailment after failing to secure a starting berth at the outset of his stay in England.
- Ben Chilwell will not be travelling to Qatar after suffering a hamstring injury in Chelsea’s 2-1 win against Dinamo Zagreb. The defender had previously had an ACL injury and was replaced in the last minutes, seeming to be in pain before exiting the stadium on crutches.
- While Chelsea teammate Reece James has been advised that despite his optimism, he will not make the cut, The Sun exclusively reports that he has been informed of this after suffering a long-term injury. The England international confirmed his withdrawal from the FIFA World Cup competition on Twitter.
- N’golo Kante one of the major players that stood out in France’s midfield during the 2018 FIFA World Cup. After undergoing surgery for a hamstring issue, the 31-year-old will miss the World Cup for the Les Bles.
- Paul Pogba will miss the competition owing to a ruptured meniscus suffered in a Juventus preseason game in July.
- Sadio Mane, the striker for Bayern Munich and Senegalese international, suffered a knee injury thirteen days before the competition in Qatar. He was injured in the 15th minute of his team’s match against Werder Bremen.
- Timo Werner, an ex-Chelsea winger, has been ruled out with an ankle injury sustained in the 13th minute of Red Bull Leipzig’s UCL match against Shaktar Donetsk on November 2nd.
- Marco Reus is on the verge of missing the World Cup after suffering an ankle injury at Borussia Dortmund. While Florian Wirtz faces a battle against time to recuperate from an ACL injury.
Players who are not participating in the World Cup
Erling Haaland and Mo Salah will not be making the journey to the Middle East since their teams failed to qualify, and Italy will also not be participating.
Along with these notable absences, other significant celebrities will be absent through no fault of their own.